|12. Spirulina's Glowing Reports as a "Radiation Shield"
It is thought that spirulina protects your body from radiation damage and helps it detoxify through a combination of the mechanisms outlined in the following table.
● Spirulina has high natural iodine, which protects NOT ONLY your thyroid, but all glandular tissues in your body.
● Spirulina is abundant in vitamins and minerals and antioxidants, which collectively promote healing and strengthen your immune system.
● Spirulina is high in phytopigments (phycocyanin, chlorophyll, beta-carotene and other carotenoids), which enhance antioxidants and reduce free radical damage from radiation, as well as from pollutants, drugs and other environmental toxins. These pigments may also help explain spirulina's anti-inflammatory properties.
● Spirulina is high in metallo-thionine compounds (proteins combined with metals) that bind heavy radioactive isotopes and eliminate them from your body (Matsubara et al. "Radioprotective effect of metallo-thionine," presented at Radial Rays Conference, Tokyo Japan 1985)
● Scientists at the Gastro-Intestinal Laboratory at McGill University in Montreal demonstrated that alginates derived from Laminaria could reduce by 50 to 80 percent the amount of radioactive strontium absorbed through the intestine.
● Spirulina is rich in highly bioavailable iron, which helps prevent anemia. A new study published in the journal Cellular and Molecular Biology in January 2011 confirms this effect, finding spirulina effective in the treatment of anemia and age-related immune dysfunction among senior citizens.
● Spirulina has a number of blood-strengthening properties, as found by this 2001 animal study from China. The study concluded that spirulina has chemo-protective and radio-protective capabilities and shows potential for fighting cancer. Immune cells in your blood are highly radiosensitive and considered to be good indicators for biological effects taking place at the molecular level.
● Spirulina somehow helps shield cells from gamma radiation, as shown by this study on the bone marrow of mice.
● Spirulina helps to protect your kidneys, which are some of the FIRST organs to suffer damage after significant radiation exposure. Research suggests spirulina helps protect from the nephrotoxicity of cancer treatments, antibiotics and analgesics.